HPIBajaForumHPIBajaForum  

Go Back   HPIBajaForum > HPI Baja Garage > HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust

Sponsors
RC Discount Search

Team Phatdad RC
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
ONeill Brothers
TFE
FullForceRC
Kraken RC
Micro Hobby US
LSRC
Vertigo Performance
Killer-RC
Axis R/C
DGI Racing
Turtle Racing
HPI Racing

Exhaust Gasket?

Discussion in HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust forum, started by JForestZ34.

OBR

Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Exhaust Gasket?

I have the infamous gasket blow-out.. I have read mixed responces and have a question... I've got a couple more paper gaskets, I know of people that have upgraded to a copper gasket if that is even a upgrade. With my new gasket can I use Hi Temp RTV on that to help it hold up or what else could I do?

James

Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Baja Expert
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (43)
thats a good question, i tried rtv on a copper gasket and it still leaked, never tried the rtv on the paper ones, my paper ones blow every 2 to 3 tanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Baja Maniac

i dont think it will make a difference with the paper gaskets, theyll still obsorb a bit of fuel and oil and eventually go. i got tired of replacing the gaskets so i made my own from left overs in the garage and they still go eventually. right now im using that 1 minute gasket maker stuff for a gasket, cleaned out the threads and im using lock washers and red loctite and about a half gallon or so later no problems.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Baja Maniac

Yeah but this gasket that just went was only MAYBE 4 tanks old.. They should last longer than that.. I have a craftsman weedwacker that's 12 years old and that gasket doesn't leak... Why do these leak so much?

James
Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (34)
my rear dom still leaks with copper one .
Old 07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Baja Expert
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (7)
My rear dom never leaked with the copper gasket and some permatex high temp rtv gasket sealer. Are your bolts comming loose and causing it to leak?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Baja Maniac

youre weedwacker isnt experiencing the vibrations caused by jumping and driving that the baja sees.
what gasser said, you can check youre bolts, clean the threads and use loctite. i had to use red loctite and split lock washers to keep my bolts from coming loose. but even with those measures i was still blowin gaskets every couple of tanks.
from what ive read on hear the copper gasket with a high temp rtv is the best solution, but im cheap and just used the rtv gasket maker no copper gasket. some methods work better for different people
Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (48)
I use the thicker paper gasket, I've run every weekend for 3 months now. The KEY is keeping those exhaust bolts tight.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (3)
I use copper gasket that I anneal also tried many different hi temp silicone rtv and all failed both black and red but one has withstood better than the two previous and that is ultra copper . I coat the annealed copper gasket both sides and let dry to touch . Then install my pipe with red locktite . after first run I re torque with pipe hot . Have been working well . recently had to pull pipe to mod and all I had was hi temp black tried it again and it failed within on tank. So back to copper ultra rtv for me. Also until I annealed the gasket nothing sealed for very long.

I wish more pipes came with a thicker flange and studs instead of thin flanges and machine screws . I know it would be cost prohibitive but a thick flanged with a recess for a copper or similar soft metal oring would be nice.

For years I had fought header gaskets on my daily rides . While I won't go into name brands the one I use now has a thick machine flange that uses only rtv and has been trouble free for years now.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Baja Maniac

With my jet-pro i never seemed to blow a paper gasket as alot of the guys said make sure the exhaust bolts are tight, i use red loctite on the exhaust bolts. You dont have to anneal the copper gaskets however ive heard you can do, i use a red high temp RTV with my copper gasket and its never come lose. In the long run its cheaper to buy a copper gasket for the exhaust and the head as they can be re-used however you may need to dremel the copper head gasket down as they had a manufacturing problem with them at one time and didnt perfectly fit.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
1/5th Scaler

My gasket just blew out also. I have one on each side of the spacer. Is that how they are supposed to be? I didn't get any instructions with it.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashandburn80 View Post
My gasket just blew out also. I have one on each side of the spacer. Is that how they are supposed to be? I didn't get any instructions with it.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1697/.f

this is how its supposed to look, they blow out in different ways.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM
1/5th Scaler

I know what thay look like what my question is, Do I need one on each side of the xport/spacer?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Baja Expert
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashandburn80 View Post
I know what thay look like what my question is, Do I need one on each side of the xport/spacer?
Yes you do...It requires 2 gaskets, otherwise you got steel to steel contact which will leak for sure. Here is what I use on both my pipe gaskets and head gasket, which is also copper. Permatex sensor-safe ultra copper high temp RTV silicone. Available at Auto Zone or any auto store. Available in a 3 oz tube which will last forever. Just apply a very thin coat to EACH side of each gasket and let it set over night. I have never had a pipe leak or a head leak using this stuff with copper gaskets, I also put a bead of it around the crimping of my stock 5T cannister muffler and it has stayed on and not given me a drop of leakage like some guys experience. I swear by this stuff. If it still leaks after doing all this then your bolts are comming loose or your not getting a correct pipe flange to cylinder fit. This stuff will withstand intermittent temps up to 700 degrees!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Baja Maniac

youll need a gasket for every conection, so if youre running the x-port spacer you have two metal to metal contacts and two gaskets will be needed. i take it this is what youre referring to.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1802/.f

damnit, gasser beat me to it! lol
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Baja Expert
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Yes you do...It requires 2 gaskets, otherwise you got steel to steel contact which will leak for sure. Here is what I use on both my pipe gaskets and head gasket, which is also copper. Permatex sensor-safe ultra copper high temp RTV silicone. Available at Auto Zone or any auto store. Available in a 3 oz tube which will last forever. Just apply a very thin coat to EACH side of each gasket and let it set over night. I have never had a pipe leak or a head leak using this stuff with copper gaskets, I also put a bead of it around the crimping of my stock 5T cannister muffler and it has stayed on and not given me a drop of leakage like some guys experience. I swear by this stuff. If it still leaks after doing all this then your bolts are comming loose or your not getting a correct pipe flange to cylinder fit. This stuff will withstand intermittent temps up to 700 degrees!
Just to clarify, When i say to let set overnight, you have to install the gaskets immediately after applying the sealer and tighten everything up and then let it set overnight. Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 PM
1/5th Scaler

That answers my question. I thought there should be two gaskets but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help and I'll try that rtv sealant.