Axis R/C
Oniell Brothers
FullForceRC
Killer-RC
DGI Racing
Large Scale RC
W.S.E
Vertigo Performance
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Turtle Racing
Team Phatdad RC
Tulare Hobbies
Micro Hobby US

Shock Adjustment

Discussion in HPI Baja Suspension and Drivetrain forum, started by hawkiehawk.

Vertigo Performance

Old 11-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Shock Adjustment

Not sure what I am looking for here. I will not be doggin my Baja out or doing any hardcore bashing. But I will be on the street and off road and jumping some. What type of adjustment do I need in the shock area to get best results. If anyone has a picture so I can eye it that would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Hawk

Old 11-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Baja Maniac

Location: Living in the UK in Bebington on the Wirral, nr. Chester.
Trader Feedback: (3)
Running on tarmac try the rear oil weight of 35/40, 16 hole piston with standard preload and Ramtech springs.

Run the fronts with something like 15/20 weight oil, 2/3 hole piston with standard preload and springs.

Sway bars should be set to the thickest ones in the pack.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (69)
Ya should also consider getting the Ramtech Springs they will add plenty of suspension control for both on road and off road
Threshold Rezzies could be another options

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris
Old 11-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Baja Maniac

Jon, thank you much man. Not trying to be funny here, but I'm pretty new to this and that seems pretty confusing to me. My Baja is brand new and has the shock oil that came with it from the factory, I have not even put 2 full tanks of fuel through it yet. I just wanna know how the spring adjustment should be for having a little fun. You know, a jump here a jump there, nothing to hardcore yet. Again, just making sure I have my baby set up correctly. Thanks again bro.

Hawk
Old 11-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

The stock shock oil is kinda thin for jumping but it will sowrk. The manual calls for your threaded adjustment to be 12mm if you dont have it download the SS or RtR manual so you can view the PDF on your computer.

I run on road, off road and do a little jumping I replaced my shock oil with 30wt up front and 35wt in the rear and run the Ramtech Springs and like this set up. Since getting the Rear Dom and Modified Bumper my rear sags a little more so I am going to go up weight in the rear again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris
Old 11-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterman View Post
Ya should also consider getting the Ramtech Springs they will add plenty of suspension control for both on road and off road
Threshold Rezzies could be another options
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.5095/.f

These? Pretty advanced, huh?
Old 11-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Baja Maniac

Make sure that you put your thickest sway bar infront and your thinnest at the rear when using your baja on tarmac. Adding the thickest bar at the rear would make the rear of the car become to stiff and give you roll overs when cornering fast ( tarmac ). Also adding your thinnest bar at the rear would be alittle forgiving at higher speed on your corners.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkiehawk View Post
Yep thats them worth the money and are a nice upgrade but you can get by with some different shock oil and Ramtech Springs for sure

Chris
Old 11-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason23 View Post
Make sure that you put your thickest sway bar infront and your thinnest at the rear when using your baja on tarmac. Adding the thickest bar at the rear would make the rear of the car become to stiff and give you roll overs when cornering fast ( tarmac ). Also adding your thinnest bar at the rear would be alittle forgiving at higher speed on your corners.
Are the sway bars in the factory parts bags or are these something I would have to purchase from Daves? I do not see them with my setup. Thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

The sway bars only come with the SS Kit so yes you have to buy them separate..
Sway Bar Set

Chris
Old 11-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Jon, thank you much man. Not trying to be funny here, but I'm pretty new to this and that seems pretty confusing to me. My Baja is brand new and has the shock oil that came with it from the factory, I have not even put 2 full tanks of fuel through it yet. I just wanna know how the spring adjustment should be for having a little fun. You know, a jump here a jump there, nothing to hardcore yet. Again, just making sure I have my baby set up correctly. Thanks again bro.

Hawk
I would certainly atleast go to Ramtech springs on the back and any of the good dealers will have suitable shock oil, just go up one or two weights. i.e. if you have 20 wt oil go to 25/30 wt oil. This will set you up quite nicely for road and grass running with the odd jump thrown in for good measure. I have found the front is set up pretty well in stock form. When all said and done it's all down to trial and error and for you to find a set up that suits your driving style.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Baja Maniac

Ok, now I feel better. I was like, wtf is a sway bar. I'm still feeling my way around. As far as http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.5095/.f. How hard would these be to install? Or can I just adjust the stock shocks and be happy for a little while?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Not hard to install at all. You will need a vice, everything else is included. You remove your stock shock caps and put on the new Thresholds.. Fill with oil and you are done.. Mount them to the Baja

Threshold Rezzies Baja Tutorials this Tutorial doesn't go to far in depth as to installation but it should give you a pretty good idea of what the Rezzie kit consists of..

Chris

Last edited by Monsterman; 11-27-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Baja Maniac

Thats some great info there. Will I need to bleed the rezzies? I have no clue how to do that.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Yep you'll have to bleed them all shocks must be bled basically once filled there is a screw that you loosen in the rezzie itself

Chris
Old 11-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Baja Maniac

Watch the tutorial stated above, it shows how to do everything. Then if you have questions we're all ears.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 AM

higher ride heights

I just got my baja 5b it is used and it seems like the front suspension is realy low i am stationed in Kuwait so i need i higher ride height, will the extra shaft that came in the box give me more clearance in the front or is there a set of shocks that you all might recommend
Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonheart View Post
I just got my baja 5b it is used and it seems like the front suspension is realy low i am stationed in Kuwait so i need i higher ride height, will the extra shaft that came in the box give me more clearance in the front or is there a set of shocks that you all might recommend
Just overhaul the shocks, replace 'O' rings etc. and renew the shock oil, if the thing still sits low on the front either try increasing the preload the stiffen the spring or go to the Ramtech spring.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (5)
can any guys suggest a set up for Tarmac only bashing.
got a project in the pipline and its gonna be used on empty industrial estates, with permission of course. LOL
Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Thats some great info there. Will I need to bleed the rezzies? I have no clue how to do that.
Great though they are, I feel the rezzies are for real serious bashers/racers who demand the very latest fine control of the shocks, these things are expensive and for the general basher I don't think you will notice any great difference. Just my opinion.

However if you like bling these fit the bill very well.

Last edited by Jon UK; 11-28-2008 at 02:02 PM.