HPIBajaForum  

Go Back   HPIBajaForum > HPI Baja Garage > General Baja 5B Buggy Discussions

Sponsors
RC Discount Search

Large Scale RC
Micro Hobby US
Team Phatdad RC
Vertigo Performance
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Killer-RC
HPI Racing
DGI Racing
FullForceRC
Oniell Brothers
Tulare Hobbies
Axis R/C
Turtle Racing
W.S.E

How long will a flooded engine stay flooded?

Discussion in General Baja 5B Buggy Discussions forum, started by MOfroggy.

Daves Motors

Old 09-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
How long will a flooded engine stay flooded?

I recently had a problem that was caused by a flooded engine. I yanked until I was blue in the face and couldn't get it to start. Got on the forum and learned how to fix the problem and everything worked out fine.
I was just wondering, if you flood an engine, yank like a 15 year old and nothing happens, put the truck up and hope some magic somehow works to cure the problem and you yank again several days later and nothing happens what is the longevity of the flooding problem?
I guess what I am asking is....if you flood the engine and don't remove the plug and leave the carb at idle, how long will the excess gas stay in the crank case? I assume the excess gas/fuel mixture will eventually go away but how long would it take?
I was so P***ed off that my Baja wouldn't start after a couple of days that I wanted to donate it to someone on a Nitro forum until I leaned on this forum how to cure the problem.
How long will the gas stay "trapped" in the crankcase before it dissipates?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (6)
The gas will stay for awhile. I don't know how long though. But you want to get it out of there before it gunks up the bottom end. I have had gas go bad in a MX carb and it stinks for one thing then it solidifies(hope thats spelled correctly.). I wouldn't let it sit myself if you have the time go ahead and pull the plug and pull on the starter until it clears.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (3)
Well back in my old country when a car would flood, we pulled the plug out, cranked in over a few times w/o the plugs, wiped the crud off of the plugs and reinstalled, crank it up and right away it would start. I think you can try the same with the baja, pull the plugg, turn it upsidedown, pull the cord a few times to get the gas out of the cylinder, put a new plug in (if available, if not clean and dry the old plug) start her up right away.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (15)
If you really wet and fouled the plug out you could wait a real long time.
A little trick is to take a wet and or fouled plug out and spray it with carb cleaner and then brake clean spray. You'll get a clean dry plug. It might still look black but it should spark and start. The carb spray and brake cleaner cleans and evaporates.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:41 AM
Baja Maniac

I was just wondering that if left alone, how long a dose of gas/oil mixture would stay in the crankcase. I realize that this is subjective but does it last for hours, days or weeks? How long will it stay "trapped" in there?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (15)
Basically only time will tell if this is your problem you need to deal with it.
If oil fouled the oil does not evaporate like gas.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (31)
if all you do it toss it in the corner, i suspect may take a few weeks or morebefore you could grab it and get it to fire up. if its serverly flooded. if you go thru some of the steps to air it out, over night or a few days will do it.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:05 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
if all you do it toss it in the corner, i suspect may take a few weeks or morebefore you could grab it and get it to fire up. if its serverly flooded. if you go thru some of the steps to air it out, over night or a few days will do it.
That's what I wanted to know......Theoretically how long could the flooded case be a problem while you erroneously chased other problems. I appreciate all of your input.
Hey, theoretically (remember I said theoretically!!) could you clear a flooded engine with a shop vac? I know any sparking in the armatures might blow you all to hell but could you theoretically do it with a Shop Vac or some other vacuum source?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
If you want to fix the problem sooner than later, you should take the necesary steps to clear the fuel out of the crankcase. That is how I have learned to fix flooding issues. If you just put the baja away and not mess with it, it will take forever for the fuel to dry out. Once you have flooded an engine at least twice, you know what needs to be done to get it going again. This is what has helped me. Take the plug out, flip the car over and yank the pull start several times while tipping the baja to the front, to the back and to the side. This will help some of that fuel find it's way out of the crankcase and out through the exhaust. If you have flooded it bad, you should have fuel coming out of the pipe anyway just by tipping it upside down. Do this several times, let it sit and then when you think it's all said and done, put in a new dry plug and give it a try. Hope this helps you out. I know it has helped me.

Cheers.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (31)
ya i wouldnt use a vac, but maybe an air compressor to flow air thru the exhaust port, put the piston at tdc and let the air flow, but you have to be carefull not to blow any shit into the motor doing this.

the method TRTboy layed out is what i ve found to work the best and fastest with a flooded motor in any stage of flood. just remember the more flooded it is, the more of that process it will need to clear out.

ive gotten a serverly flooded motor to fire up after 20 to 30 minutes with that method. was still a bitch to do, but once it was poping, i just kept at it until i got it running to clear it out well.