HPI Racing
DGI Racing
ONeill Brothers
FullForceRC
Vertigo Performance
Axis R/C
Large Scale RC
Turtle Racing
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Micro Hobby US

missing/broken rimlock screws.

Discussion in HPI Baja Tires and Wheels forum, started by Timmahh.

Turtle Racing Products

Old 06-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (31)
missing/broken rimlock screws.

as it says.rear right side from rear view, is missing 2 bead lock bolts and it appears that maybe one or two maybe broken as well. i have not side swiped anything or slide sideways into anything either. anyone else seeing missing bead lock bolts? maybe thrown? any ideas? hopefully the new design will be available soon.
Timmahh

Old 06-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Owner of Turtle Racing
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
Yep, mine have come up missing a couple times, they are just 4-40x 3/8.
I am thinking about super glue on the threads believe it or not, I've done this on my Revo & it works. You can still get them in & out.
By the way, just got off phone with C/S & they said check back next week for new wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Batteries are for Flashlights!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Baja Maniac

sweet, i just noticed the missing screws today before i went for a spin. thanx for the update, i send a HPI carepackage out yesterday priority so hpefully i ll get things back soon.
Timmahh
Old 06-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Forum Advisor
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (9)
That is what I was talking about a "soft" joint. Since youare screwing through rubber, and into plastic, these screws will come loose from vibration. You have to chekc them every run. Pain in the ass, but worth the effort.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
Yep - directions say to check the screws after each run. I didn't buy it and ended up loosing a few as well. Luckily it came with a few spares, but I had to use them all. I orderd a set, but I think im going to take them all out (all 80 of them...) and put on a drop of CA glue.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Baja Maniac

I have also experienced the same problem. Now I am at the point where the holes are stripped. I used superglue on the holes this weekend when Iwas testing the beedlocs but still lost screws.

I am ordering some helicoils to install in the wheel and then use some threadlock on the joint. I think this may work well the only problem is that it's about $10 per wheel just for the cost of the helicoils.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:48 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Hey that isn't a bad idea at all - where did you order them from? I may think about that one when HPI sends out the new rear wheel...
Old 06-29-2006, 03:13 AM
Forum Advisor
Baja Maniac

I'm not sure if there is enough meat on the plastic for helicoils, did you try it yet. One of the machine shops I use, does over 10 million helicoils a year, I think I can get some.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Lol, maybe you could pick up one or two... If they will work I think it'd be pretty sweet, especially the fact that they need to be removed/replaced so frequently.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Baja Maniac

good idea on the helicoils. let us know how the work, i m gonna put them back in with a bit of ca or 2 part 5 min expoxy if i have to.
Timmahh
Old 06-29-2006, 04:07 AM
Forum Advisor
Baja Maniac

The problem is you are going to have to tap the plastic with the helicoil tap, then CA and install the new helicoil, and then re-tap for 4-40 to get rid of the dry CA, then assembly again using blue loctite. Just get a battery drill and install the taps.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:14 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Whenever our 4-40's stripped out on electric we just stepped up to 3mm bolts....new again. I would suggest trying that first. Might save you a bunch of time and money. Especially if they're gonna have updated wheels next week.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Yeah... No way I'd put that kind of work into wheels that will be replaced - but I'd be willing to spend a rainy afternoon someday if it was worth it.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:10 AM
Baja Maniac

Problem with metric screws is the pitch is higher and there is less thread biting into the hole. This would be fine with a metal hole but I do not think that this will work on the soft plastic wheels. Also the beadlocs are counterbored for the 4-40 screw. This hole will be too small for the M3 screw.

As far as the installation process goes it's not that bad. If you are expereienced with tapping you can do it with an electric drill. the helicoils can be installed without ca glue. If you install one thread below the surface the end of the helicoil will dig into the material so that it won't back out.

I am ordering my helicoils from mcmaster carr. Any fastner company should carry them though. I recieved some new wheels which I plan on modding with the helicoils. I will time myself and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice_Arnold
Problem with metric screws is the pitch is higher and there is less thread biting into the hole. This would be fine with a metal hole but I do not think that this will work on the soft plastic wheels. Also the beadlocs are counterbored for the 4-40 screw. This hole will be too small for the M3 screw.
Not really. The M3 screw would be a 4.5-50, the diameter difference is about .2 mm - close to nothing when it comes to plastic. There are more biting threads with the metrich screw, so this should be fine as well.

The problem will be the diameter of the screw's head, the metric one is .8 mm larger. Machining such a large number of heads would be no fun.

If the problem occurs on the outside of the wheels you could use longer 4-40 screws with an additional nyloc nut.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Baja Maniac

Hi chevyman_de :wink: I havn`t seen you for a while,i hope all is well?

regards
simon f
twisty
LSOR UK
Nookraceway
Old 06-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Owner of Turtle Racing
Baja Maniac

Yeah, I like finer threads in plastic & I never tap plastic. You get far better grip in plastic when you don't cut threads in it. Now drivin heli coils without tapping might not work but I'd certainly try it first.

Batteries are for Flashlights!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Forum Advisor
Baja Maniac

I'll see if my screw buddy has any plastite threaded #5 screws. They make alot of wierd stuff, maybe even a #5 thread with a #4 socket head cap on it.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Baja Maniac

i have lost today 3 right and 2 left bolts hmmm i think that Pre-Run Check is Very important for this Baggy and its easy for me since i have experience from Helis Checks and Checks and Checks hahahaha
Old 07-23-2006, 05:53 PM
RC GEEK !!!
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRider_GR
i have lost today 3 right and 2 left bolts hmmm i think that Pre-Run Check is Very important for this Baggy and its easy for me since i have experience from Helis Checks and Checks and Checks hahahaha
Take a look at this link,you can replace 80 steel for 80 aluminum,save some wieght,pick a color,threads seem to be more course they may hold better.
http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...S&Category=218