Team Phatdad RC
DGI Racing
Large Scale RC
HPI Racing
Micro Hobby US
Oniell Brothers
Vertigo Performance
FullForceRC
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Axis R/C
W.S.E
Turtle Racing
Tulare Hobbies

Search: CAD Drawings of Baja 5b-Chassis

Discussion in HPI Baja Suspension and Drivetrain forum, started by mille-schwarzfahrer.

Turtle Racing Products
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Gasser

Trader Feedback: (0)
Search: CAD Drawings of Baja 5b-Chassis

Hi guys,

I am running a OEM car design studio and have all sorts of digital hard and software as well as some young and creative heads on hand, but little time to start from scratch. Is there any one out there in the Baja-community who owns or has access to a CAD model of our toy, the original RTR or SS? A PDF or TIF of a drawing would be already a good start.

Actually, I am toying with some different suspension systems and a few new bodyshell alternatives...

Interested? Or do you know someone who knows someone who has CAD-data???

Just let me know...

Aloha!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 AM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (69)
I dont know if I still have them or where it is on the forum but someone has posted CAD designs of the Baja here on the forum but I do remember the posts go back awhile.. I will see if I can dig up the link to the post or the pictures I know I saved them to my comp somewhere...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris
Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Gasser

CAD-Data of Baja 5b

Hi Chris,

thanx for the quick response! Any kind of digital image and/or CAD-data would be very helpful and a great base to start with. I will have to go into 3D soon anyway, since the CNC-guys require data to feed their mills...

looking forward to your info,

Aloha!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Baja Maniac

Do these help you?

I have been looking for some 3D models of the Baja for a while now, but cant find anything.
If you end up getting your hands on a model could you tell me about it?
I would love to have a play with it as I use CAD every day. (Draftsman)

Cheers and good luck!
Cory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baja_CAD.jpg (72.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg baja_CAD_rear.jpg (84.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (27)
Those 3d images are great corypelican! To get hold of the original 3d model would certainly be out of this world.
Come on - someone must know someone on the inside

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Yeah I saw those if you google search Hpi Baja Cad Drawing those are first to come up!! I know there is a thread floating around the forum with a ton of CAD pictures some member was working on them it might have been an extended chassis design but I know I have seen them here.

Chris
Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Baja Maniac

just a post to follow the thread.
Would love some CAD models.
If I ever have enough time I could make them, but dont hold you breath

Don't you know anyone who could laser scan them ?
It's actually not that hard to make a DIY scanner.
All you need is the laser, software is free all over the net
Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned
Baja Maniac

See post number 60 of snoozes stretch baja project
http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/sh...stretch&page=3
Old 06-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinl2375 View Post
See post number 60 of snoozes stretch baja project
http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/sh...stretch&page=3

Ah thats the thread I was referring to I knew someone would post it before I could find it.

Chris
Old 06-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (6)
I think what this guy is asking for is the actual solid model file that is completely dimensioned to scale and can be used to pull coordinates off of and to model around on. I would pretty much bet vital parts of my anatomy that HPI will not just give those out, since any counterfeiting operation could then take them and go crazy knocking the parts off.

We have pretty detailed SoildWorks models that we have created ourselves of most of the car, but it is very time consuming, tedious work to do, and we are not about to hand them over for nothing.

I suggest that if you want to get into making parts for the Baja, go take one apart, get on a CMM and start drawing, the rest of us had to.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
I think what this guy is asking for is the actual solid model file that is completely dimensioned to scale and can be used to pull coordinates off of and to model around on. I would pretty much bet vital parts of my anatomy that HPI will not just give those out, since any counterfeiting operation could then take them and go crazy knocking the parts off.

We have pretty detailed SoildWorks models that we have created ourselves of most of the car, but it is very time consuming, tedious work to do, and we are not about to hand them over for nothing.

I suggest that if you want to get into making parts for the Baja, go take one apart, get on a CMM and start drawing, the rest of us had to.
No offense but.... +1 to that!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (13)
How much would the something be to get ahold of them?? I too would be courious in even a partial.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
How much would the something be to get ahold of them?? I too would be courious in even a partial.
In all honesty, I just would not really be interested in selling the models, and if pressed on the issue, I would make it worth my while, keeping in mind that I am handing over the means to make parts that I would now have to compete with, so it would be quite spendy.

Its nothing personal, I think that there are a lot of creative people out there that can probably come up with some really cool stuff, and I encourage them to go for it if they have the means to do so, but this mille-schwarzfahrer guy, who has the means, the personnel ,the tools, "but little time to start from scratch", well, then you don't have the time to get into it.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Quote:

Quote:
In all honesty, I just would not really be interested in selling the models, and if pressed on the issue, I would make it worth my while, keeping in mind that I am handing over the means to make parts that I would now have to compete with, so it would be quite spendy.

Its nothing personal, I think that there are a lot of creative people out there that can probably come up with some really cool stuff, and I encourage them to go for it if they have the means to do so, but this mille-schwarzfahrer guy, who has the means, the personnel ,the tools, "but little time to start from scratch", well, then you don't have the time to get into it.

I didnt even look at it like that.. I just thought the guy wanted to see some cool ass CAD drawing I would hope to think HE DIDNT WANT TO STEAL anyone's hard work and ideas... Thanks for putting that into perspective for me DS... It wouldnt have ever crossed my mind like that..

Hang onto those secrets!

Chris
Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
It isn't the 'secrets' he is referring to. He is talking about the time and effort it took to create the base drawings that the 'secrets' were modeled on top of.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Secret Decoder Ring
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfrontframes View Post
It isn't the 'secrets' he is referring to. He is talking about the time and effort it took to create the base drawings that the 'secrets' were modeled on top of.
I understood that point.. I was just messing with him I know a lot of time and work goes into a single part.. And thats just the begining..

Chris
Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Baja Maniac

Location: TEAM HCC / HOSTILE RACING PRODUCTS Dog Pile W/C Motors
Trader Feedback: (21)
Bummer and here I thought we may have more options for some cool parts
Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (27)
However much of a dream it would be to get hold of the baja 3d cad files, I would have to agree with DS's comments - knowing how much I loathe handing over architectural 3d cad models - the baja stuff is certainly a lot more time intensive.

Start from scratch and you will be well respected for your efforts.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Storm View Post
However much of a dream it would be to get hold of the baja 3d cad files, I would have to agree with DS's comments - knowing how much I loathe handing over architectural 3d cad models - the baja stuff is certainly a lot more time intensive.

Start from scratch and you will be well respected for your efforts.
DING DING DING, we have a winner. Thats right Storm, you hit the nail square on the head.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:31 PM
CRAFTWERKS-RC.COM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (30)
Quote:

2nd..

Quote:

2nd..

Quote:
DING DING DING, we have a winner. Thats right Storm, you hit the nail square on the head.
Couldnt agree more! First thing that I thought when I read this thread! Sounds like someone up to no good.

Closed Thread