FullForceRC
Large Scale RC
Vertigo Performance
Tulare Hobbies
Micro Hobby US
W.S.E
Oniell Brothers
DGI Racing
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Killer-RC
Team Phatdad RC
Turtle Racing
HPI Racing
Axis R/C

Pull Start Help

Discussion in HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust forum, started by RcGrips.

Turtle Racing Products

Old 06-11-2006, 03:12 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Pull Start Help

Hello all,

I have my first issue. Went to go start my Baja and the pull start isn't turning the engine over at all. In looking inside without taking anything apart the pull start isn't even touching the anything.

I took it apart, 4 screws no problem and it looks like the center doesn't reach the pull starter.

I'm stumped? Did a part come out?

Please help.

Best regards,
Greg
Old 06-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Baja Maniac

It's due to the grease being like glue.
Whilst its apart, undo the gold screw in the middle, pull it apart carefully, and wipe it clean of grease.
Put back together- note the washer under gold screw has a square hole, make sure it seats properly, and make sure you put the little wing washer on the right way. There is a coil spring under these washers, don't lose it.
It's pretty easy.
Then it'll work fine.
If it fails to catch in the future, after doing this, then just tip the Baja onto its right side, starter facing up, and give starter housing a couple of taps, that sorts it.

Hope that helps you.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:20 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Ok I'm going to run down stairs and give it a shot. Considering I can't sleep right now and it is driving me crazy I'll go give it a shot.

Thanks and will let you know soon.

Greg
Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Baja Maniac

Mine pack it in yesterday after driving it in sand for the first time and I had to take it apart and clean it out and today it did the same thing. I have made a filter up for the intake but sand still gets in over the top and will be hard to find anything that will stop the sand getting in.
I really cant believe HPI did not pick up this problem as they had almost a year of fine tuning after they first showed the concept model and should have come up with a fix. The same goes for the rear air intakes and the way they suck in all the crap and the fact HPI ignored the problem and seem to have gone for looks over function. I know HPI read look at this forum so common HPI and fix these silly problems and then offer a fix to people like me who have forked out the money for them already.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:45 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

cy101432,

Thank your so very much for your tip. Worked like a charm, then I got really motivated and fixed my Hellfire. I have 2 cars to run tomorrow...

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 06-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Baja Maniac

No worries, happy to have helped.
I, like most people, have been on here anticipating Baja for a while.
Others got theirs before me, so I read up on little problems and fixes.
I knew of this before I got mine.
My starter played up on me, so, being the tinkering type, I ripped it apart and fixed it.
Just gotta get me some graphite powder now.
This is like a dust type of lube, a dry lube. So you can use it to lube the starter, without putting wet/damp shit in there.
Graphite Lube is mostly for locks.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:56 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

cy101432,

Well today was just awesome! My next door neighbor and I ran our new Baja's almost all day!

We both ran into the pull starter problem. I had to take mine apart again and his was acting up.

I blew my right rear tire! Damn! Was the funnist thing seeing the hard foam flying every where.. Now the bad part... Need a new tire.

I'm going to see if I can find that powder around here. This pull start issue is just aweful! and really not happy.

Keep in touch.

Greg
Old 06-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (31)
i ll show you guys a good item to use in a day or two, my buggy will be here Wed, and tomorrow i m going over to chat with a buddy of mine. when i get back, if hes got what i need, i ll post up a few pics with the idea to keep the sand out as well as most the water from the ps area.
you can get the dry lube at any auto parts store like autozone or the like
Timmahh
Old 06-12-2006, 03:12 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Timmahh,

Do you know what the dry lub is called?

Greg
Old 06-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Baja Maniac

If you really dont want to bother getting graphite lube at a store, you can use a pencil and key and just grind down the graphite in the pencil over the area that you need the dry lube.

a pencil is basically compressed graphite wrapped in wood. It is an excellent lube for when your key dosent slide easily into the lock! :arrow:
Old 06-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Baja Maniac

My problem is over here its a really sandy place and you end up having no choice but to drive it on sand and even a minute of this stuffs the pull starter up. HPI needs to really look at this and offer a fix as its crap for what is made to be an off roader. I took mine apart yet again last night but this time while tapping the crap out made the spring pop out from the back and its not going to be easy to rebuild it. Im going to be making a roto type starter for it now and stuff the crap pull starter.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributor
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (7)
I had an old pre-filter made by Outerwears, it was for my quad. I cut and glued it to the outside of the pull start vents, now only the very small dust gets in there, it's working real good.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
1/5th Scaler

HPI did not make the motor so what is the point of bitching at them if you never owned a large scale rc then you would not know this a problem with just about everyone of them. All these weedeater motor are made using the same type of pull starter and are all pices of shit in the sand and really dusty area's. Your best bet on fixing it is using that outerware cloth or foam with a little filter oil on it.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

I run in sand dunes alot and there is minimal starter problems if you remove all grease with mineral spirits and put in graphite powder.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Forum Advisor
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (9)
You can also get the graphite at any locksmith. I have several bottles left over from an old job that made keys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 AM
1/5th Scaler

I was in Home Depot and bought a 12-pack of "Electro-Static Return Vent Filters".... I fold one in half, and it cups perfect around the pull start vents and the body holds it in place. Doesn't seem to restrict air flow any.

http://www.nextag.com/vent-filter/search-html

BTW, if any of these solutions do restrict air flow too much - does the engine auto-cutoff, before damage can occur, if it overheats?

I'm also running the Zenoah Synthetic oil - it has "ZX-7" additive that some places advertise will cause your engine to cut-off before it gets too hot.... not sure how/if that really works?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (6)
I removed the pull starter from the engine to clean off the grease and apply graphite. What's the trick to get the flat coil spring wound back up? I messed with that for an hour with no luck.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Baja Maniac

another hour should do it :wink: sorry.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:04 PM
1/5th Scaler

I actually paid a small engine repair $5 to fix it and after that i vowed to never take that screw out and pull it apart. I only take the four screws out and take the entire pull starter assembly off and then blowing it all out with my air compressor. Then all I do is shoot it with a little WD-40. Don't lose your religion over it.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Owner of Turtle Racing
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
All you have to do Is untie the rope while holding the disc & let it slowly unwind, after that it comes right apart with no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Batteries are for Flashlights!!!