Team Phatdad RC
Killer-RC
Vertigo Performance
FullForceRC
HPI Racing
Large Scale RC
Turtle Racing
Axis R/C
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
ONeill Brothers
Micro Hobby US
DGI Racing

BIG BORE Shocks...Anyone???

Discussion in HPI Baja Suspension and Drivetrain forum, started by lomcevoc.

Daves Motors

Old 02-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Baja 5sc BIG BORE Shocks...Anyone???

Anyone running the Big Bore Shock set up from Innovative R/C? I purchased one of his Chassis and love it and was looking at the Big Bore Shocks he has as well.

http://www.innovative-rc.com/baja-ba...27_32_132.html

Lom
Old 02-05-2012, 03:21 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
I just bought a pair of the IRC Big Bore rear shocks and I can't figure out how to even install them. The package comes with 2 ball ends, 4 bolts (two long and two short, and I can't figure out which to use for the top and which to use for the bottom, since the short ones are too short and the long ones are too long), two washers, and 2 metal spacers. I have the standard Baja 5B SS rear shock mount (HPI Part # 87551).

I'd be more than happy to let you know what I think about them, but can anyone explain to me how the heck you put these together? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dreamer View Post
I just bought a pair of the IRC Big Bore rear shocks and I can't figure out how to even install them. The package comes with 2 ball ends, 4 bolts (two long and two short, and I can't figure out which to use for the top and which to use for the bottom, since the short ones are too short and the long ones are too long), two washers, and 2 metal spacers. I have the standard Baja 5B SS rear shock mount (HPI Part # 87551).

I'd be more than happy to let you know what I think about them, but can anyone explain to me how the heck you put these together? Thanks.
Please do let me know. I'm not sure if these would fit differently with the TR brace or not (this is what I have already)., the site says it would so....

Lom
Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Baja Maniac

I just sent an email to the owner of IRC so hopefully I will hear back soon. I think the metal spacers that it comes with are to help get the shock caps away from the mount because they are such a large diameter they wouldn't fit otherwise, but there isn't anything to keep the shocks from sliding off the spacers except for the washer which doesn't look sized for the bolt heads. *shrugs*

P.S. I think there are special spacers you have to order with the shocks for them to fit the TR mount... http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....t.A/id.8263/.f
Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (55)
Talking

I recently installed a set. They do fit TR shock towers with the appropriate mounts. Mine needed some small coaxing with a grinder though. In the end, they fit great.

But that was on my 5T with standard length arms. My extended armed Baja had severe binding with the shock and Chase cage. The FLM suspension kit had moved the shocks up & outward, leaving just enough room for stock sized shocks to cycle freely. The big bores just wouldn't fit or perform correctly.

Its to bad really, the shocks are awesome and would have easily bought two sets otherwise.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (4)
I got them and love them. Running stock front a arms and phatdad rears. They are very well built. If your running TR shock towers make sure you order the correct mounts.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Baja Maniac

U mount with bushing at top with washer on the outside did u get his irc brace at all http://www.innovative-rc.com/shock-t...e0a98a673c572a if look at pic at bottom with show a stock set up

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tbajabasher View Post
U mount with bushing at top with washer on the outside did u get his irc brace at all http://www.innovative-rc.com/shock-t...e0a98a673c572a if look at pic at bottom with show a stock set up
I did not see that picture and it's no wonder why. I didn't realize you needed that brace, it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the page about the shocks themselves. Seems I'll have to buy the TR shock mount and the spacers for it since the IRC brace is out of stock. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Baja Maniac

I ended up using the bolts that I already had in the truck since they were the right length for the TR mounts and killer cables. I cut down the IRC adapters that came with the shocks to fit inside the TR mounts front and rear.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Baja Maniac

Is anyone running the Big Bore shocks by IRC with a Team Chase Cage?
Will they fit w/out any cage mods assuming you buy the correct spacer kits?

Lom
Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Baja Maniac

Yes I just added both to my truck. No issues at all with the cage.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Baja Maniac

Mike
Thanks , that helps a lot. I would assume they would work with the RPM arms as well??

Lom
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Baja Maniac

Yeah they should. Although I have read somewhere on here about someone having to shave their RPM arms a bit for the spring to clear but I know people have done it.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Baja Maniac

Mike
is that the stock front bumper set up on yours?
Nice looking BAJA
Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomcevoc View Post
Mike
Thanks , that helps a lot. I would assume they would work with the RPM arms as well??

Lom
I just installed a rear pair of the BB shocks with my RPM arms. The only issue I had with the rear lowers is the balls that came to insert into the lower shock ends were to wide. I ended up using the existing balls from my stock shocks and they fit perfectly. Cannot comment on the front as I only got rears.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
I just installed a rear pair of the BB shocks with my RPM arms. The only issue I had with the rear lowers is the balls that came to insert into the lower shock ends were to wide. I ended up using the existing balls from my stock shocks and they fit perfectly. Cannot comment on the front as I only got rears.
Thanks, that certainly helps close the gap.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomcevoc View Post
Mike
is that the stock front bumper set up on yours?
Nice looking BAJA
Yes it is.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Baja Maniac

Just got in the last of the parts I needed to install the rears, TR Shock Brace V2 and the spacers for them. The spacers were a tad bit too long, had to file them down to fit inside the shock brace. I also installed a set of Killer Kables. Unfortunately, it's raining and snowing a bunch so I probably won't get around to testing these out till next week, but I'll report back when I do.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Baja Maniac

Glad to hear you got it together. What weight shock oil are you running front and rear? I went 30wt in front and 40wt rear. Let us know what you are using and how you like it. Also, what shock covers are those?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK1981 View Post
Glad to hear you got it together. What weight shock oil are you running front and rear? I went 30wt in front and 40wt rear. Let us know what you are using and how you like it. Also, what shock covers are those?
What I did was just order the IRC rears, I'm using the stock VVC shocks up front for now. I figured big bores weren't necessary up front since there isn't any weight up front. So I'm running 40 wt petroleum up front and 80 wt silicone in the rear. I did some drop tests and I really like the compression and rebound properties of the silicone oil over petroleum. Also, there is absolutely ZERO leakage on the shock shafts and caps, not even a hint of residue! Shock socks are these: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.8694/.f