HPIBajaForum  

Go Back   HPIBajaForum > HPI Baja Garage > HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust

Sponsors
RC Discount Search

DGI Racing
Tulare Hobbies
Turtle Racing
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Killer-RC
Oniell Brothers
Micro Hobby US
Team Phatdad RC
Axis R/C
Vertigo Performance
HPI Racing
W.S.E
Large Scale RC
FullForceRC

Baja Wheelies!!

Discussion in HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust forum, started by cd*baja*5b SS.

Vertigo Performance

Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
1/5th Scaler

Trader Feedback: (0)
Baja Wheelies!!

Hey fellas...

I have a 5B SS which is pretty much stock. I have a Dominator V2 Pipe with Silencer (I removed the inner foam) and Hostile MX Hard Compound tires on the back. My LHS tells me that with the upgraded exhaust alone I should be able to pull wheelies, but I have not been able to.

My question is, should I be able to??...or do I need more upgrades.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd*baja*5b SS View Post
Hey fellas...

I have a 5B SS which is pretty much stock. I have a Dominator V2 Pipe with Silencer (I removed the inner foam) and Hostile MX Hard Compound tires on the back. My LHS tells me that with the upgraded exhaust alone I should be able to pull wheelies, but I have not been able to.

My question is, should I be able to??...or do I need more upgrades.
you would need more upgrades bro. You cant pull wheelies with the pipe alone. the Full Mod motors are able to pull wheelies with the right pipe. Like OBR wild child motors those are the ones creating enough power to wheelie. Your local Hobby store is lying to you. I have never seen a stock 26cc CY motor on a baja with just a pipe wheelie. Your best best would be to play around with the gearing.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (53)
Gear down to a 16/58
Stiffen the rear suspension
Add weight to the back
Make sure you have a high stall speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bartolone Powered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Baja Maniac

yup gearing down would be your best bet. Check this video out. AS you can see from punching the throttle on the spot it wheelies, but his top speed is not too high. You can tell he is geared down

Old 08-20-2011, 04:15 PM
ZR800 Ditch Pickle
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by logon69 View Post
Gear down to a 16/58
Stiffen the rear suspension
Add weight to the back
Make sure you have a high stall speed
+1

Also may I add better rear tires and the angled shread stack. The stock Dirtbusters aren't known for they're performance capabilities and the angled shread stack I found made the stock 26 a little more responsive/snappy in the off line performance area (also aids in filter maintenance).
Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 PM
1/5th Scaler

Ya I had a feeling that my LHS was full of it...but I wanted the pipe any way.

I might try gearing down, but I don't want to lose any top speed...so I may just hold out for when I can afford a better motor!...I like to have my cake and eat it to...otherwise why bother with cake?

Thanks for the comments gents!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (5)
If you hit a bump right it will do wheelies. My 5T will do it with either the SS pipe or the Rear Dom.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 PM
1/5th Scaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWD View Post
+1

Also may I add better rear tires and the angled shread stack. The stock Dirtbusters aren't known for they're performance capabilities and the angled shread stack I found made the stock 26 a little more responsive/snappy in the off line performance area (also aids in filter maintenance).
Actually I do have Hostile MX tires on the back and it was a huge difference. I love them, the dirtbusters aren't really good unless you like fishtailing!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:11 PM
ZR800 Ditch Pickle
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd*baja*5b SS View Post
the dirtbusters aren't really good unless you like fishtailing!
Amen to that.

Shite! I just re read your original post and noticed you are running better tires. That'll teach me to finish my morning coffee before chiming in.

Last edited by SWD; 08-20-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokesFTW View Post
you would need more upgrades bro. You cant pull wheelies with the pipe alone. the Full Mod motors are able to pull wheelies with the right pipe. Like OBR wild child motors those are the ones creating enough power to wheelie. Your local Hobby store is lying to you. I have never seen a stock 26cc CY motor on a baja with just a pipe wheelie. Your best best would be to play around with the gearing.
Not 100% accurate. But close. There's an old YouTube video of a stock purple edition baja with a v-1 dominator pipe pull wheelies from a dead stop. Granted he was driving on a rubber high-school track. It was pretty cool.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:00 PM
1/5th Scaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWD View Post
Amen to that.

Shite! I just re read your original post and noticed you are running better tires. That'll teach me to finish my morning coffee before chiming in.
hahaha...no worries man!...I figured as much...I'm useless without my morning coffee!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbredon View Post
Not 100% accurate. But close. There's an old YouTube video of a stock purple edition baja with a v-1 dominator pipe pull wheelies from a dead stop. Granted he was driving on a rubber high-school track. It was pretty cool.
I have a pic of my 5B SS with a CPI pipe pulling a wheelie on the track we race at. It is possible with a stock setup but you dont get the crazy long lasting wheelies you see on youtube videos. I would get the font wheels 3-4 inchs off the ground and it would set back down after 5-6 feet.