Turtle Racing
ONeill Brothers
Micro Hobby US
DGI Racing
TFE
LSRC
Axis R/C
HPI Racing
Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!

BZM 50cc Vs OBR Twin

Discussion in HPI Baja Engine and Exhaust forum, started by CraigRobbo.

OBR

Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (7)
BZM 50cc Vs OBR Twin

BZM 50cc Vs OBR Twin

Well i Know many have waited for this!

Now lets get the excuses out of the way - Anyone at the bash will vouch for my engine running bad due to a gasket seal problem on the crankcase - However that didn't stop me winning

The BZM has MONSTEROUS amounts of tourqe but the twin just spools up so much faster giving it the edge

I will safely say that NEITHER of these engines are 'BETTER' there just 2 different motors so i would never say now after seeing both 'i prefer xxxxx'

The twin just revs & revs and its spool up times is just gobsmacking but the 50cc BZM has tourqe that would proberbly make the earth spin backwards given the traction.

In this race we both floored it at the same time i did no take off any sooner it was just merely the spoolup speed that makes it shoot off(if you have sound you will actaully hear the both engines fire up at the same time)

So to sum up ...

• If you want silly tourqe and power and the ability to wake up the dead with noise go BZM

• If you want silly spool up & millions of RPM But with a reasonable amount of tourqe go Twin

I am sure there are more videos of this.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (1)
Lower revving engines will be less stressful on moving parts and generally have a longer life. Not having to deal with carburetor synchronization is a huge advantage of a single, I just got finished rebuilding a twin cyl Rotax that had a fried piston because of a partial jet blockage in one carb. If it had been a single carb, the previous owner would have noticed a big performance loss and recognized that a problem existed but since one cyl was going strong, it didn't seem as apparent and he toasted it. Twin pipes may look awesome too, but I just see it as another extra part in the way. I'm very impressed with what OBR has done with the twin and I'm not knocking it in any way with the previous comments, I just feel that The BZM is going to be more reliable and far easier to tune due to the single jug design.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Banned
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (9)
well said wrencher. i couldnt agree more. ive been shunned by the obr crew because ive said somethings similar to this. i tried to pm the guys about some parts for my twin and they wont even return my pm's. thats alright ill just port and machine my own and to hell with them. like you say, lower rpm's replaced by torque is a much better setup for my mind and wallet. the mx 50 shouldnt need a rebuild for a long time. the twin needs a rebuild about every 7-8 gallons. and the heads actually should be replaced at that time. not just the rings, if you want her to chime like new again. im gonna keep my twin cause i can port my own heads and it wont cost me but 110.00 total. the bottomend is tight as hell yet so i dont have to go there. it has 6 bearings in the lower end. i think the twin can be built to give the mx 50 a run for its money but i dont think it will ever beat it.

craig,

you jumped him big time on the start! and he was all over the place. i now your rig and its heavy. you could stay planted and he was having hell getting off the line. your setup and the big jump off the line got you the win. in the sand where there is the same traction for either truck i garrauntee the pro mx has the guts to take out the twin. im glad you guys could put a small vid together like that, it should keep a few fellas at bay for a while, till i can get my twin rebuilt and the 50 comes in this month and i install it. a lot of work. this hobby is becoming a job it seems. i have two boys and they have bajas and it is hell keeping them all running at the same time. someone is always breaking something including myself. lol

later fellas
Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (13)
No two cars will leave the line at the exact same time. Someone will get the jump. People have wanted to see this video. Good job Craig.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned
Baja Maniac

i agree to a point zr, but his jump was huge. i think he was the one saying go. lol
Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Baja Maniac

Alright chance your right ill give you that, however bear in mind he didnt even catch up to me untill i come off the revs and my truck is a good 10lb heavier than his...

But im not gonna arguee it out i watched both run all weekend and i can assure you that my obervations are right.

Im not saying the twin is better...just different.

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
I don't think this is a good indication on who's faster or better on grass is very hard to get this. Would be good to see on tarmac this would be better less slippige for both cars.

But great Vid. Was that the standard BZM 50cc?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxit View Post
I don't think this is a good indication on who's faster or better on grass is very hard to get this. Would be good to see on tarmac this would be better less slippige for both cars.

But great Vid. Was that the standard BZM 50cc?
I belive its a proMX 50 (ported by scotty at MMR)

We met at the UK's Chill & Grill bash, Me & Gareth live at the opposite ends of the country so its hard to just 'meet up' and after gareth took me out at the end of the race i was wiped out and didnt have parts to fix.

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned
Baja Maniac

i know bud, im not gonna argue cause i havent even seen the 50 run in person. im not gonna lie, sometimes i just say things to get some folks riled(?) up. me and you are a lot alike in the respect to our engines and stuff. i dont believe you are a fanboy, you just believe and know what youve seen and arent blinded by the fanboy syndrome. some guys will, i swear, lay there life on the line for some builders. doesnt matter if they are wrong or right. me, i dont care who built what because i can build the same thing. i cant build the pro mx 50 though because it is a work of art, and the case was machined or cast for a custom fit to the chassis with out the need for a bunch of brackets and all.

no one can argue that the effort put into the 50 is so much more than adapting the twin to the baja. the twin is off the shelf components besides the turtle plate, layshaft and. it doesnt even need these thing, me or you could fab up these parts in a weekend and get a twin in the baja, but ya cant do that from scratch like dawson 2-strokes and mmr have. custom engine from the ground up and im tired of the obr fan club thinking that anyone who doesnt think the twin is better or them not wanting to hear that the 50 is better is a big o pile of dog****! who cares, opinions are opinions. one of there little members stated this,

People that don't own one or the other should stop saying one is better then the other. It's really sad! Back to the One and Only OBR TWIN CLUB!

how sad is that? this is to much,lol.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
i agree to a point zr, but his jump was huge. i think he was the one saying go. lol
Ok it was a good jump, Maybe the BZM had a delay or a bog, who knows... does not really matter. The BZM never pulled anything back. I was expecting more from the torque monster. More videos will start to roll in, time will tell. As long as the owners are happy with what they have thats all that counts in the end.

I want to bring my OBR twin to the Next BZM 50 vs Twin Shoot out
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Baja Maniac

Chance Funny guy but to a large point your right.

But in my above statement Neither are better because they have their own qualities -Its somewhat like trying to compare a landrover to a rally car... Both built for offroad but rorally different in what they do.

I would proberbly have a 50 alongside the twin, but i wouldnt get one instead of the twin.

Given the choice i would find it VERY VERY VERY hard to chose between the 2 - But i do prefer the insane spool up of the twin which would proberbly MARGINALLY lean me that way.

however if you want top speed runs i think the BZM could pull taller gears and get to a higher top speed given a long enough run.

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IETZR1S View Post
Ok it was a good jump, Maybe the BZM had a delay or a bog, who knows... does not really matter. The BZM never pulled anything back. I was expecting more from the torque monster. More videos will start to roll in, time will tell. As long as the owners are happy with what they have thats all that counts in the end.

I want to bring my OBR twin to the Next BZM 50 vs Twin Shoot out

Quite right.

As i sumed up, The BZm is touqre, the twin is a rev monster so its half a dozen of one and six of the other really...

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (5)
I personally do not think that video was a good representation of either engine
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (2)
Has no one considered what gears they were both running?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarog View Post
Has no one considered what gears they were both running?
Its in the video description on full you tube, I totally forgot it doesnt show it when i do a direct link.

There both on 28/46.

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
i know bud, im not gonna argue cause i havent even seen the 50 run in person. im not gonna lie, sometimes i just say things to get some folks riled(?) up. me and you are a lot alike in the respect to our engines and stuff. i dont believe you are a fanboy, you just believe and know what youve seen and arent blinded by the fanboy syndrome. some guys will, i swear, lay there life on the line for some builders. doesnt matter if they are wrong or right. me, i dont care who built what because i can build the same thing. i cant build the pro mx 50 though because it is a work of art, and the case was machined or cast for a custom fit to the chassis with out the need for a bunch of brackets and all.

no one can argue that the effort put into the 50 is so much more than adapting the twin to the baja. the twin is off the shelf components besides the turtle plate, layshaft and. it doesnt even need these thing, me or you could fab up these parts in a weekend and get a twin in the baja, but ya cant do that from scratch like dawson 2-strokes and mmr have. custom engine from the ground up and im tired of the obr fan club thinking that anyone who doesnt think the twin is better or them not wanting to hear that the 50 is better is a big o pile of dog****! who cares, opinions are opinions. one of there little members stated this,

People that don't own one or the other should stop saying one is better then the other. It's really sad! Back to the One and Only OBR TWIN CLUB!

how sad is that? this is to much,lol.
Look at the end of the day it's what makes you happy not what others think, Im happy with my 50 bzm so that all that counts.

The OBR are a great motor so the good thing about all of this is that you have choice.

I'm sure when the 50cc start posting on the forums that you will get the same feed backs that other engine get.

Hopping to see more.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Baja Maniac

Craig I told you rubbing's racing. Don't be getting all sore about loosing a corner.

I'm not going to diss the twin nothing really to diss about it. It works and sounds neat.

The 50 is utter hand full you have to be so conscious of what you are doing with the throttle trigger. If you listen you will hear I had to come off the throttle a couple of times.

I in all honesty pulled it upto the line for shits and giggles. I had been ripping it round the field for a time prior to you popping over and the clutch was hot running in the long grass. And really didn't take it seriously.

But hey I was still running at the end!

Not really a scientific comparison but one at that.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Don't Drink the Kool-Aid
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (57)
Cool vid Craig! Finally someone shot a vid of the 50 running! These motors should not and can not be compared! These are 2 totally different animals in there own class. One is for one person and the other is for another! Chance, you are a funny dude! There should not be anything wrong with someone being a "Fan" as long as they can back up with results in a product. Positive of course! You don't even have a 50 yet and yet you are stroking them all over this forum! Who's the Fanboy? You send Sean a pm. With no answer and bad mouth them! Try picking up a phone! They don't sit on these forums like us. I hope to see more vids of these 50's. These things should be absolute torque monsters! One request would be to see a nice clean grass area before, then run the rut making 50 over it and show the damage! LoL!

So Let's stop comparing the 2! It's getting old! And I agree with you chance. If you don't own either,, keep it classy! Stop stirring the pot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniripper View Post
Craig I told you rubbing's racing. Don't be getting all sore about loosing a corner.

I'm not going to diss the twin nothing really to diss about it. It works and sounds neat.

The 50 is utter hand full you have to be so conscious of what you are doing with the throttle trigger. If you listen you will hear I had to come off the throttle a couple of times.

I in all honesty pulled it upto the line for shits and giggles. I had been ripping it round the field for a time prior to you popping over and the clutch was hot running in the long grass. And really didn't take it seriously.

But hey I was still running at the end!

Not really a scientific comparison but one at that.
I love excuses

In all fairness it was just a bit of fun between me & gareth because we have been having a lot of banter about the twin & BZm for a few months.

I have a little better video though here - It really does from the video look like i went well before him but we did both floor it at the same time, i just got more traction on the off.

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Baja Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedcj7on44s View Post
I personally do not think that video was a good representation of either engine
+1, i've seen video's of both types of motor running a lot harder than that.