HPIBajaForum  

Go Back   HPIBajaForum > HPI Baja Garage > HPI Baja Suspension and Drivetrain

Sponsors
RC Discount Search

Use HBF as the coupon code for 5% off!!!
Large Scale RC
Killer-RC
Micro Hobby US
DGI Racing
Oniell Brothers
Tulare Hobbies
Axis R/C
Team Phatdad RC
HPI Racing
W.S.E
Vertigo Performance
FullForceRC
Turtle Racing

Elcon Clutch - Genuine Assembly And Disassembly Instructions

Discussion in HPI Baja Suspension and Drivetrain forum, started by loupiedog.

Turtle Racing Products

Old 06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Elcon Clutch - Genuine Assembly And Disassembly Instructions

I have just received the following by e mail from Onno Abbes at Elcon. It should help all wanting to fit, adjust or remove the Elcon clutch. Note the point about settings; many might have set the clutch too high which will lead to unecessary wear.

Quote:
> I agree we could put on some some instructions on our pages but we did not have any time yet. We will work on this. The assembly of the clutch is fairly easy as it is almost impossible to place any part on the wrong place but I'll guide you through.
> Here 2 pics of the clutch shown on our pages where you can already see how it bolts all together.
> http://www.elcon-models.com/pics/18620_1.jpg
> http://www.elcon-models.com/pics/18620.jpg
>
> Put the teflon shoe in place put the shorter dark spring in the big hole then the brass part on top of the spring. The pole will keep the clutch shoe, spring and brass disc in place. Repeat for all four poles.Use the longer screw on the side of the clutch housing and the shorter one for the cover plate. I used only here very little loctite (blue) on these bolts, not on any other bolts but you're fine without loctite as well.
>
Turn in the set screws with the point in the 4 poles, the pole should be pointed this way so the set screw will press down the brass disc with its point. On the brass disc there is a center point where the point of the grub screw will go in. Place and secure the coverplate
with the smaller rounded head bolts. Finally, place the big set screw in the center on the inside conus. When all built together you can apply pre-tension to the clutch springs with the set screws. We run ourselves in competition at some half turn till a full turn in, depending on track conditions. This is from the point where you feel the grub screw making contact with the brass disc.
People tend to set the clutch far to high resulting in wheelspin
rather than acceleration of the car. A higher point of engagement will also cause higher rate of wear.

Assembling the clutch onto the crank shaft is just turning it on. No need to tighten it more than just by hand, no brute force needed at all. It will lock itself up when driving.
Taking it off if you can reach the hex part on the back use that with the proper key. I do not know if anything is in the way on the Baja or not.

Other option I use myself is taking some piece of flat belt. Wind it around the outside of the clutch and pull it to get the clutch loose. Of course you should secure the piston of the engine or block the flywheel.Or you could give it a go with pliers on the outside of the clutch to get it off. Rotate anti clockwise. The chances of damaging the clutch shoes with pliers is of course much bigger when you slip away with the pliers. I therefore highly recommend the belt type of dissassembling which always worked for me.
>
The big set screw that sits in the crank shaft is a high quality one. You can apply quite some force to this screw as it is a 12.9 quality one.
We have no time for placing or reading through the postings in forums, sorry for that, too much to do here. Feel free to post there
directions for other people.

Unquote

Last edited by loupiedog; 06-26-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Baja Maniac

One picture can replace thousands of words.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Baja Maniac

http://www.rcfun.tv/

video on this page needs to be opened with Microsoft explorer though
Video is on the top left.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributor - Baja
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (9)
Exelant.
Dirby.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Baja Maniac

that clutch is really "a kock" to take it off the cranksaft...
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Baja Maniac

I hate this clutch!!
I did not get if off in one peace, so i needed to do some damage to it

I am not going to instal those "piiiip" clutches no more...
Stock clutch with 8k sping is much better.

Last edited by bajaman78; 02-15-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Baja Maniac

lauterbacher is million time better, and there is not that stupid "piip" bolt inside that clutch, like elcon does.

Last edited by bajaman78; 02-15-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Contributor - All
Baja Maniac

Trader Feedback: (55)
Talking

Bajaman78,

I understand your frustration with your clutch. I too have had my fair share of baja related anger. If you could though, please keep fowl language to minimum. We don't want to contaminate any young baja minds.

Thank you,

Tbredon
Old 02-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Baja Maniac

Hello tbredon, sorry, i was just so frustrated..